Development of Tools for Data Assessment, Active Learning and Believability for Visual Data
This project should aim at developing the following
1. Data Assessment / Feature Selection tool:
a. To effectively select features (from a given set) that are optimal for machine learning application using supervised (with classifier deep neural network in loop) and unsupervised techniques.
2. AI Validation and Optimization tool:
a. Believability: To quantify the difference in the behaviour of classifier deep neural networks with change of data from the training dataset (on which the algorithm is calibrated) to the actual dataset.
b. Active Learning: To develop active learning techniques to select subset of data (from large amount of unlabelled data), which will maximize the learning of classifier deep neural network models.
3. Application software to utilize the above
a. Design and development of web based application software.
b. Faster access to high dimensional feature vector.
c. Scalable storage and faster retrieval for processing.
Project proposal is open only for startups.
Disclaimer: Only DPIIT registered startups are eligible for funding under this project application.
Public Limited Company, Private Limited Company, Partnership Firm, Limited Liability Partnership, One Person Company, Sole Proprietorship registered as per applicable Indian Laws.
The industry has to be owned and controlled by Indian Citizen.
The Industry with excess of 49% foreign investment will not be eligible.
Industry shall also possess or be in the process of acquiring license/ development of products if the product/ technology under project requires license as per DIPP’s licensing policy.
Company/ Organization which have been debarred/ banned/ blacklisted or the business dealings with whom have been “suspended” / “put on hold” by the Ministry of Defence will not be eligible.
Industry may apply in individual or Association of Persons (AOP) i.e. consortium of Indian Companies consisting of two or more than two undertaking joint and several liability.
Feasibility Studies for each project shall be carried out with the involvement of all important stakeholders (Industry, Subject Experts, Industry Associations, etc.). The aim of this study is to identify the projects, which can be undertaken.
Feasibility study includes preliminary assessment of capability of industry to undertake the project, estimated cost and time for development, estimated cost of the component bearing the technology, etc.
Formulation of Specifications
Based on the feasibility study, Qualitative and Quantitative specifications specifying the key parameters of the required technology will be drafted.
Issue of Expression of Interest (EoI) and soliciting response
Project requirement will be posted on web-portal for soliciting EoI responses through online Mode.
EoI will consist of brief technical requirement, all evaluation criteria, sub-criteria, etc including respective weight-ages accorded to each of them for assessing responses from EoI recipients.
Industry shall have the choice to respond either in their individual capacity as EoI recipients or as an AoP (i.e. Consortium) of Indian Companies/ Organization/Academia.
Selection of Development Agency
Assessment of EoI responses will be undertaken as per shared criteria. Evaluation criteria relates to the indigenous research, design and development capabilities including past experience, other relevant parameters and performance of EoI recipients as may be required. In case of AoP i.e. consortium, the assessment shall be carried out with specific reference only to the roles and responsibilities of Individual members as mentioned in their AoP Agreements.
Development Agency shall be required to submit Detailed Project Requirement (DPR) including Cost Estimates against the EOI. DPR shall be examined with specific reference to project milestones against the evaluation criteria.
An interaction with the startup if deemed necessary will be carried out at the time of evaluation.
Development Agency (ies) selected post the examination of their DPRs will be issued a Project Sanction Order along with an Agreement.
Upon signing the Agreement, the successful applicant will be issued a grant letter.
The following criteria shall be used for determining whether, what and upto what extent the cost incurred by Development Agency shall be paid out of public funds
Cost Reasonableness; and
Terms of Agreement
A cost is allocable if it is assignable or chargeable to one or more cost objectives on the basis of relative benefits received or other equitable relationship.
A cost is reasonable if it would have been incurred by prudent entity in the conduct of competitive business.
The following cost will be allowable
Academic (Maximum 40% of the total project cost)
Overhead (Maximum 10% of the total approved project cost); and
Contingency (Maximum 3% of the project cost)
A cost shall not be presumed to be allowable merely because the Development Agency actually incurred the cost, unless meets the test of relevancy, financial prudence, reasonability and relationship.
The Development Agency shall not charge any unallowable cost and the following costs are specifically considered unallowable
Interest (on loans, etc.)
Contributions or donations
Fines, Legal expenses and penalties
Advocacy and business development
Losses on other contracts
Business organization cost such as cost of incorporation, re-organization and merger
Disclaimer: Only DPIIT registered startups are eligible for funding under this project application.
1. The funding will be through provision of grants to Industry.
2. The project cost up to INR 1(one) Cr will be considered for funding subject to maximum of 90% of the total project cost in general.
3. Up to 100% funding may be considered on case to case basis.
4. Industry may work in collaboration with academia or research institutions.
5. The work involvement of academia cannot exceed 40% of the total projects cost.
6. The funding is linked with Milestones.
7. Fund will be released either as advance against the bank guarantee of the same amount as collateral or reimbursement basis on completion of Milestone.
8. Subsequent instalments will be release on successful completion of Milestone.
1. Technology Development Fund (TDF) has been established to promote self- reliance in Defence Technology as a part of the 'Make in India' initiative. It is a programme of MoD (Ministry of Defence) executed by DRDO meeting the requirements of Tri-Services, Defence Production and DRDO.
2. The scheme encourages participation of public/private industries especially start-ups so as to create an eco-system for enhancing cutting edge technology capability for defence application.
3. Engagement of start-ups under TDF scheme shall normally for the projects having estimated cost less than INR 1 crore.
4. Such engagement is primarily for Nascent Start-ups (i.e. start-ups having been incorporated less than 3 (three) years ago from the date of application). Other Start-ups (i.e. start-ups that have been incorporated more than 3 (three) years ago from the date of application) shall be considered if no Nascent Start-ups, applying under the scheme, is found suitable for the project. Although Nascent Start-ups shall be given preference, the scheme shall be open to both kinds of Start-ups.
5. Nascent Start-ups applying to the TDF Scheme, should be attached / associated with a government-aided or government-recognized incubator.
6. The role of incubators is to provide all necessary support to Start-ups for the execution of the project as per Design Document and such incubators may charge fee for providing working space, mentoring, business planning, IPR, Legal support. However, the contribution of incubators under the Scheme shall not be more than 20% (twenty percent) for any project proposal and included in the total project cost.
7. The Start-ups and Incubators need to submit their DIPP / DPIIT certificate and Start-Up registration details, along with other mandatory documents while participating in the Scheme.
8. The funding will be through provision of grant to Start-ups that may also work in collaboration with the academia or research institutions to carry out innovation, research and development. However, the contribution of such academia / research institution shall not be more than 40% of the total project cost.
9. Submission of Project proposal doesn't guarantee any commitment under this Scheme from DRDO / DTDF.
10. Suitable technical information will be provided to the Start-ups on submission of NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) during technical interaction meeting on 'need to know' basis.
11. The Start-ups shall submit a compliance statement for all the eligibility requirements with necessary supporting documents for scrutiny.
12. SOFT / Type Approval (CEMILAC Certification) is required for all airborne systems / subsystems. The details of certification process can be seen in the guidelines published on TDF Website.
13. Any Start-up can have concurrently, maximum of 3 TDF Scheme projects (Maximum 2 as Lead DA) either as lead DA or as consortium partner.
14. The Start-ups shall submit all information about their executed / ongoing / applied projects under TDF scheme during the submission of project proposal.
15. The transfer / sharing of IPR will be carried out under DRDO through a committee of constituted by DRDO. In addition, filing of Patents and other IPR protection will be carried out by DRDO as per extant guidelines & policy of DRDO.
16. Only equipment essential for execution of the project will be considered for funding under TDF Scheme. The essentiality of the equipment will be established through a nominated committee of technical expert.
17. Any Start-ups providing false information will be liable for action as per existing MoD guidelines.
18. In the event that any of the applicants or prospective awardees under the TDF Scheme have availed of, been awarded or secured a grant-in-aid or any other form of monetary assistance from Government institution for same / similar technology before applying to the TDF Scheme or during their execution of the Project, the same must be disclosed to DTDF within 30 days of change in status.